If you’re in the norm, you’ve probably had classes early on in your kids yoga teaching career that left you befuddled. This can confuse, confound and even convince you that kids are devil spawn, and it’s possible that sometimes they are temporarily possessed by evil spirits that just as quickly can dissolve into sweetness and joy.
Every kids yoga training program can only provide the theory and perhaps a little practice. All the rest is practice. Literally, in-the-classroom experience. Human contact. Not for the faint hearted. That's why the demo class is so important in the GroovyKids™ Yoga Teacher Training program. You get 10% of the time as actual experience. But it's only 10%. The other 90%? That's when you go into your classroom, roll your sleeves up and get started with some om's the next time. Even if the kids don't join in.
Not much can help you in these moments no matter how much training you’ve had. That’s because children aren’t like adults. They are working under a different mindset. At GroovyKids™ Yoga we work to prepare the parts of YOU that work best. But it’s on the job learning.
These things help!
1. Yoga is science! -Remember that you’re a scientist. Today’s class was an experiment. You’ll be able to fashion a better experiment next time.
2. Recall those wonderful words from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel-Everything is going to be ok in the end. If it is not ok, it is not the end.
3. It doesn’t have to be perfect! Even after a couple of days, your perspective will change and you may realize you were more “on” than you thought!
4. Remind yourself that first you have to be fully present. If it’s still chaos when you’re fully present, at least that.
Many years ago a young girl of 7 came to class and she clearly knew a lot of poses, or at least had a solid knowledge of gymnastics. She was very active in class and helped out in the handstands. Sat still and meditated as well as she had practiced. Afterwards in the parking lot I over heard this conversation...
Mom; How was it?
Girl; It was ok.
Mom; Did you like it?
Girl; It was boring.
Picture it. I have my back turned, they’re not really aware of me and I am surprised, given her level of participation in the class.
Mom; What was boring about it?
Girl; It was over too soon. I wanted it to last longer.
So, in the end, it was ok. That’s the end.